Solo Bald Mountain

Mt Hood from the top of Bald Mountain 

The 13+ mile Bald Mountain - Ramon Falls loop has to be one of favorite (to date) runs close to Portland, Susan and I first did this run last August. You get a little bit of everything: a good hill climb, spectacular views of Mt. Hood, alpine meadows, intense glacial river crossing and a 120 foot waterfall.

I was a little nervous doing the run solo, knowing that the Muddy Fork river was going to be raging with all the snow melt off and you have to cross it twice! I also knew this was a good chance to run with my new poles and to get a little bit of training on the Timberline trail in preparation for our run around Mt. Hood in August. It took me a bit of time at each of the river crossing to find a good place to cross, the water was up to my knees, but I would not of been able to do it without my poles. I came across a group of backpackers after the 2nd crossing and they asked me how the crossings were, and I replied that I was glad I had my poles.

Trying to secure my poles to my little pack.

Second crossing of the Muddy Fork River

Other than the river crossing and some scratched legs from over grown berry bushes, it was an awesome run. I think that Susan and I need to come back in a few weeks and do this route with a few extra miles on the Timberline trail as another training run.

Seasonal bridge over the Sandy River

Mt Hood



A rope has been added to help the crossing on the tree!



I was trying to get a picture of me and Mt. Hood.

Ramona Falls

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three days in Wonderland

Triple D

Reflecting on 2022